Structure and Governance
The Research, Innovation, and Enterprise (RIE) Division is headed by the Associate Vice-Chancellor (RIE) who steers and manages research, innovation and enterprises activities, supported by the Research Development and Advisory Board as the main advisory board whose membership is drawn from across the university and industry.
The AVC (RIE) is the head of research innovation and enterprise. Whose functions include:
1. Research infrastructure, development and formulation of appropriate policies;
2. Research planning, coordination, administration, logistical support at all levels;
3. Coordinating the sourcing of research funds;
4. Protection of intellectual assets, commercialization, dissemination and publication;
5. Strategic alliances with government, industry, local and international research institutes;
6. Management of research libraries and archives;
7. Research branding, setting standards, quality assurance/control and capacity building;
8. Coordination of relevant seminars, consultancies, workshops, conferences and symposia;
9. Research benchmarking exchange of scholars;
9. Negotiation and management of research contracts and consultancies; and
10. Internationalization of the University.
The AVC (RIE) chairs the Research and Development Advisory Board under which there are the following committees;
Intellectual Property Committee
Research Grants Committee
Research Publication Committee
Science, Technology and Innovation Committee
Research-based income generating Committee; and
Quality Assurance Committee
The AVC(RIE) carries out such other duties and responsibilities as may be delegated by the Vice Chancellor or the University of Nairobi Council.