THEME: INNOVATION INCUBATION AND COMMERCIALIZATION FOR YOUTH
17 TH – 19 TH, MAY, 2023
SUMMARY OF MAIN EVENTS
1. Opening Ceremony
2. Problem-Based Learning Summit
3. Innovation & Incubation summit
4. Hackathon and pitching
5. Startup Summit
6. Grant Holders Summit
7. Training on the commercialization of innovations
8. Innovations Exhibition
9. Closing Ceremony
Nairobi Innovation Week is an annual event in the university calendar. It focuses on catalyzing
innovations, incubation, startups, and the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the university. Further, it
provides a platform for local and international innovators to showcase innovations and build
The University organizes the event in collaboration with local and international partners and
stakeholders. The purpose of the NIW is to contribute towards a vibrant innovation ecosystem
and entrepreneurial culture through policy influence, research dissemination, showcasing
innovation, incubating innovation & ideas, startup creations, networking, capacity building,
investment, and support opportunities.
NIW 2022 Key Outcomes
The 6th edition of NIW was held on 26th -28th April 2022. Some of the key outcomes of the NIW
1. Employment of students Safaricom.
2. Exhibitors Increased business networks.
3. UNES adopted an automated water dispenser showcased during Nairobi Innovation
Week. The students and the staff can now access clean drinking water while in campus
4. The event enhanced awareness of the connection between research and innovation within and without the University.
5. The University has initiated the process of supporting five innovators who showcased
their innovation during NIW for incubation and commercialization
NIW 2023 FOCUS AREAS
The NIW 2023 focus will be on the following;
1. Innovations and start-ups in Education, food security & nutrition, affordable housing,
health care, ICT, environment and climate change, business modeling, and cross-cutting sectors
2. Incubation and Mentorship for innovators within the university
3. Strengthening existing partnerships and acquiring new partners to enhance the innovation ecosystem in the university and beyond.
4. Working closely with government, industry, MSMEs, funders & other players in the innovation ecosystem.
NIW 2023 Objectives
This year event is envisioned to achieve the following objectives
1. To increase the visibility of the university corporate brand locally and internationally
2. To enhance Industry-University linkages
3. To Mainstream innovation mindset in Higher Institutions of learning in Kenya among students and academia
4. To initiate a mentorship incubation program for innovations from the university and beyond to catalyze startups and spin - offs
5. To build and strengthen innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem networks
6. To create awareness on Intellectual protection of research output and commercialization of innovations.
7. To Identify innovations to be supported for the commercialization process.
- Log in to post comments